Thursday, August 20, 2009

The importance of resilience

It's ironic that I would sign on a client wanting to promote his book on resilience (see it here: http://www.reachinghome.com) just about the time when I most needed resilience in my own life. The focus of the book--and its accompanying training--is ability: The ability to utilize the skills and attitudes that create resilience and that can allow you to overcome the obstacles that stand in the way of reaching your goals. The ability to “bounce back.” To survive. To manage life’s disasters--whether it be the loss of a spouse, a relationship, or your health.

The past two years have included some of the most extreme ups and downs I've ever experienced...some, such as the birth of my son two years ago, are worth mentioning. Others are not. All have challenged by "ability" to "bounce back."

I've been tested again over the past few weeks, which explains the gap in blog posts--and why I'm mentioning this in the first place. My friends and I like to talk about putting on our "big girl" panties during trying times, which basically means drawing upon our inner strength to persevere. I seem to be taking 10 steps forward, then 50 steps back this time. But hanging in there and continuing to move forward--even at a shuffle's pace--are the only options.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, let's return to our regularly scheduled blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment